What Ursula K. Le Guin thinks:
“Fantasy is not antirational, but pararational; not realistic but surrealistic, a heightening of reality. In Freud’s terminology, it employs primary not secondary process thinking. It employs archetypes which, as Jung warned us, are dangerous things. Fantasy is nearer to poetry, to mysticism, and to insanity that naturalistic fiction is. It is a wilderness, and those who go there should not feel too safe . . .A fantasy is a journey. It is a journey into the subconcious mind, just as psychoanalysis is. Like psychoanalysis, it can be dangerous, and it will change you.”
For more lovely quotes about works of fantasy, check out the Endicott blog, which should almost always be required reading.
Other websites/blogs recently discovered:
– Rachel Edidin, who is an associate editor at Dark Horse Comics.
– Amy Reads (a feminist academic’s opinions about pop culture)
– Illustration Friday, which is a weekly art exhibit for illustrators and artists.
– Beatrice Billard, illustrator, who also links to other lovely art blogs.
– A Writer Afoot, written by Barbara Samuel.
– Letters From Pegasus, which is the blog of Stargate actor, David Nykl.
– Tamora Pierce has a blog! Call me clueless, but I had no idea.
– Girls Read Comics (and they’re pissed!)
P.S. Thank you for all the well wishes!